Tasty Tip Tuesday!
This one might fall under the category of “looks awful, tastes great,” but I promise you, it does!
This Cashew Chicken has just the right amount of sweet and savoury to make everyone happy.
- 1 lb Chicken thighs
- 3 Bell peppers, red or orange
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 2 inch Ginger, fresh
- 1 Lime, zest of
- 1 cup of fresh Thai basil
- 1 tbsp Fish sauce
- 5/16 cup Honey
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 2 tbsp Chili Sauce
- 1 can full fat Coconut Milk
- 1/2 cup Soy sauce or tamari, low sodium
- 2 cups Brown rice
- 1 tbsp Chili paste
- 1/2 tsp Chili powder
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Cashews, raw
- 1. To make the cashews, heat 1 tablespoon oil, 1 tablespoon honey, the cashews, chili, powder, and turmeric in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook until lightly toasted and caramelized, 3-4 minutes. Watch closely. Spoon the cashews out of the skillet onto a parchment-lined plate. Sprinkle with lime zest and salt. Set aside.2. In a medium bowl, toss together the chicken and arrowroot powder (can use cornstarch). 3. To make the sauce, combine the remaining 1/4 cup honey, the soy sauce, fish sauce, chili paste, and chili sauce. 4. Wipe the skillet clean. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the chicken and brown all over, until it becomes crispy, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, and peppers, cook another 2-3 minutes, until the garlic is fragrant. Pour in the sauce and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until the sauce coats the chicken, about 5 minutes. 5. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil. Serve the chicken and sauce over bowls of rice and top with cashews and basil leaves.
- Cook your rice in 1 can of coconut milk, plus 1 can of water for a rich flavoured coconut rice.
- Adapted from https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/sesame-cashew-chicken/#bo-recipe
Need some more help with your nutrition?
We would love to chat!