Ever pondered the perfect time to consume protein to boost your gym results? You’re not alone. At our gym, Greater Purpose Health and Fitness, we often encounter this question.
Navigating Nutritional Advice:
We understand the maze of nutrition advice out there can be daunting (to say the very, very least!). With years of experience guiding numerous individuals towards achieving their fitness and nutrition goals, we feel pretty confident we do a great job of keeping it simple, yet effective, helping you reach your muscle gain and/or fat loss goals.
Protein is your muscle’s best friend. It plays a crucial role in muscle repair and growth, ensuring your efforts at the gym don’t go to waste. We all have something called a Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) which essentially just means the number of calories your body burns in a 24 hour period at rest. Meaning, if you were to lay in bed for a full 24 hours, how much energy (calories) does your body use just to breath, pump your blood, etc. The more muscle you have, the higher this number is. So essentially, more muscle = more work your body does for you without you having to do anything! YAY!
When to Consume Protein:
- Pre-Workout: A small protein+carb rich snack or shake an hour before hitting the gym prepares your body for the workout ahead and gives it the sustained energy it needs.
- Post-Workout: Consuming protein within two hours post-workout supports muscle recovery and growth.
- Before Bed: A protein source before bed can work overnight on muscle repair, making you ready for the next day’s challenge (may not be needed or necessary if weight loss is the goal).
Protein Consumption Tips:
- Quality Matters: Opt for high-quality protein sources like lean meats, eggs, greek yogurt, or plant-based proteins.
- Stay Consistent: Regular protein intake spread throughout the day helps maintain a steady muscle repair and growth process.
Nutrition Coaching in Camrose:
Our nutrition coaching at Greater Purpose in Camrose offers personalized advice on optimizing your protein intake in sync with your workout regimen. And of course, so much more!
Take the Next Step:
Neglecting protein timing could slow down your muscle recovery, hampering your fitness progress. Ready to elevate your fitness journey? Book a free nutrition assessment with us and discover how tailored nutritional advice can accelerate your progress towards your fitness goals right here in Camrose, Alberta.