It’s not a secret that exercising and being active is essential to overall health, but starting an exercise journey can be challenging. Sometimes it seems impossible to make time for it in our busy lives, and we convince ourselves that we’ll start tomorrow.
Here are a few tips to help you get started.
- Make it enjoyable – First, find an activity that you enjoy and stick with. If you’re doing a workout routine, and it’s not enjoyable, or it’s super repetitive all the time, you need to try to find something or a different style of class or a different type of exercise that you do enjoy. Because it’s super hard to stick to anything that you feel like you’re constantly dragging yourself to, choose something that you’ll look forward to doing each day.
- Start Small – Trying to do too much too soon is a common reason people give up on their exercise goals. By starting with a manageable plan, you’ll be more likely to succeed and eventually build up to doing more. So what’s a small goal that anyone can do? How about walking for ten minutes each day? It might not sound like much, but it can add up over time! And if ten minutes seems like too much at first, start with five or even two minutes and work your way up. We want people to start small because that’s more sustainable. If you start small, you can become consistent in that habit or routine and become a part of your life instead of overhauling everything.
- Make it easy – It can be pretty tough to start an exercise routine, especially if you’re not used to working out. But it’s important to make things as easy on yourself as possible so that you’re more likely to stick with them. You can do this by setting things up in your home, like leaving your shoes at the door or packing your gym bag before you leave, or bringing your gym bag with you to work so you don’t have to go back home in between.
- Start with the basics – There are so many different exercises and workout routines that it can be hard to decide which one is right for you. But before you go jumping into the deep end, it’s essential to start with the basics. This means gradually building up your strength and stamina by doing simple exercises that target all of your muscle groups. This is the foundation on which a successful exercise journey is built. When you make a strong foundation, it gets easier to do more complex exercise routines or movements from there.
- Find an accountability partner – Having an accountability partner is an awesome bonus when starting an exercise journey. This person can help keep you on track, encourage you when you’re struggling, and be there to celebrate your successes. A coach can absolutely be this person! They’re going to help you learn the basics and help you start small. There are millions of free exercises, routines, nutrition plans, and mindset programs online, but you want to find someone who actually can understand you as a person because that’s what makes a good coach.
It can feel a little overwhelming at first when it comes to fitness. Where do you start? What do you do it? How often should you work out? And how hard should you push yourself?
We can help!
Book your Free No Sweat Intro by clicking the link below