Tasty Tip Tuesday!
We make a habit of posting the most beautiful and brightly coloured masterpieces of food… but this is a simple reminder that quick, easy, and nutritious is always going to win!
One pot/pan meals are a go-to for ALL of us (and they aren’t always picture perfect).
The best part of these meals is they are great when you are short on time, simple, don’t use a lot of ingredients, and great if you want to clean out your fridge/cupboard! We always have left over rice in the fridge, and this is one of the best ways to get it used up!
These are a few EASY steps to make your ONE pot/pan meal
Pick from each category:
- Ground chicken/beef/turkey
- Chicken breast/thighs
- Steak strips
- Whatever the heck you have leftover in your fridge 😉
- believe it or not, frozen veggies are a great option here! While they aren’t ranked #1 on the nutrient density scale, they can still offer LOTS of health benefits and are easy, cheap, and readily accessible and versatile!
- bagged shredded broccoli slaw
- the list is endless… whatever you like!
- rice (pre-cook… a rice cooker or insta pot should be your best friend!)
- sweet/regular potato
- butternut squash
- Spaghetti squash
- whole wheat/rice pasta
- black beans/kidney beans
(Fats are generally added in the sauce, or are present in the protein).
Now, for the fun part! Adding an easy, at home sauce to bring flavour to your dish!
A few staples to have on hand that mix well to create a healthier version then most store bought sauces:
Olive oil, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, honey, sriracha, mustard, nut butter, rice vinegar, tomato paste -> practice combining different combinations for different flavour profiles, and add in herbs such as garlic or ginger for an extra punch!